Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Raw Cookie Dough and Brownie Bites


Summer is upon us, without a doubt. I hate turning on the oven when it's sweltering outside, but I still love homemade treats. Enter: raw desserts.

Lots of creative, talented bloggers have come up with cookie 'dough' recipes lately and, since my stash of Cookie Dough Larabars is dwindling, I thought I'd try my hand at a homemade version. I actually made {these} a few months ago, but they weren't very dough-like. So I 'researched' and combined the ideas I liked into this version.


Raw Cookie Dough Balls

2/3 cup raw, unsalted cashews (or a combo of cashews and almonds)
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
2 dates (pitted and chopped)
1-2 Tbs. maple syrup
2 Tbs. peanut butter
1 Tbs. non-dairy milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Add oats and nuts to food processor and blend until they reach a flour-like consistency. Then add dates, 1 Tbs. syrup, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla. Blend until smooth. If your mixture is crumbly, drizzle in additional milk or syrup in until you obtain the desired consistency (keep in mind that more maple syrup = stickier dough). Remove from food processor. Stir in chocolate chips once the "dough" has cooled slightly (it may be warm from the processing friction). Wet hands slightly and roll dough into Tablespoon-sized balls. May store in the fridge for up to a week. Makes 10-12 dough balls.

AH. MAZING. This truly tastes like cookie dough and I can't stop eating it.


Brownie bites (from Elena's Pantry) are surprisingly good as well, and I think of them more as truffles than dough-like. But they have a shorter ingredient list which always makes things easier. The first time I made these, half the batch disappeared while I was at work! This is despite the fact that Ross felt betrayed when he found out the secret ingredient was dates! Who is this person eating healthy treats?!


Raw Brownie Truffles

1/2 cup pitted dates
1 cup walnuts
3 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. maple syrup (optional)
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Place ingredients into food processor and pulse on high speed until smooth. Remove from processor and roll into 10-12 Tablespoon-sized balls. Eat and be pleasantly surprised by the deliciousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment