Saturday, September 22, 2012

Humbled

If I were to sum up this season in my life in one word, it would be this:

Humbling.

humblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumblinghumbling

Ross and I capped off our wedding anniversary week by attending a powerful marriage conference at church this weekend. I can't think of a better way to celebrate. I have much to say about it, but for now I will simply say that it was outstanding. This conference came at a perfect time. The sheer redemption of this summer has already faded into the rushed busy-ness of our lives right now, and petty arguments are cropping up as we both turn inward again.

I'm SO thankful that we were able to go and focus on the condition of our hearts.

Backtracking to Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, I had the opportunity to go to a 3-day conference in town. I'm now a Certified Breastfeeding Educator. I also got a great thesis idea that I'm currently discussing with my advisor.

So a busy productive week combined with a full weekend off to talk about all things marriage with Ross, and I was happy as a clam. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the first day of fall was being ushered in with perfect mid-60 temperatures. Makes me miss running, but that's another story. I have 2 papers due this week, but they're much more manageable than last week's literature review (not sure why those overwhelm me so much).

When we got home from the marriage conference, I was feeling pretty good about the weekend. Calm for once. Then I checked the messages on my phone. Apparently I was scheduled to work today. Of course, it looked like I blatantly ignored their calls when really, I was gone all morning and didn't have my phone with me. I felt... ridiculous.

I knew I'd disappointed my co-workers and let them down. In 5 years of nursing and 15 years of being employed in some capacity, I have never been a "no call, no show." I called the manager and talked to her and it was just a major miscommunication and scheduling snafu (don't get me started on the scheduling "methods" in our unit). But still. It kind of ruined my day and my heart felt heavy and guilty.

Then, praise God, the sermon at the 5pm church service tonight could not have been more apropos. I am so grateful. We are always meant to be right where God puts us.

No comments:

Post a Comment