Saturday, April 21, 2012

Spring in my Heart

*Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.* {Victor Hugo}


My favorite farmer's market had an organic seedling sale on Friday and I was counting down the days until I could fill my balcony containers again.  I planted some garlic last spring and I was shocked when the green sprouts started to poke out of the dirt last month, but the other containers were quite barren in comparison.


No longer! Friday afternoon, I bought and planted lettuce, kale, and rosemary.

red romaine- so pretty!
baby kale

baby rosemary
Of course, it frosted last night but I was prepared and draped a towel over the containers.  I think everything survived. Which reminds me, I need to repeat that tonight just in case.

The tomato seedlings had only ever been in a greenhouse, though, and they didn't acclimate well yesterday.

lazy tomatos
So guys get to play outside while I'm at work and come in at night until it warms up on Tuesday and I can plant them safely.


I'm so excited, although I feel slightly... mean... encouraging the plants to grow so I can eat them!

No comments:

Post a Comment