Friday, December 6, 2013

Prepare Him Room

I know people don't usually give things up for Advent, but I had a few days off earlier this week and I found myself glued to my phone at one point, toggling between facebook, blogs, and Instagram. Perhaps looking for interaction without having to leave the toasty warm, but empty, apartment? Whatever it was, I realized then and there that this isn't how I want to spend my time. Especially during Advent.

(thanks for the prints, Jami!)

Christmas is approaching so quickly. Am I actually preparing room for Jesus in my life, or am I filling my down time with more stuff? Obviously, my answer has been the latter. In a season of watchful anticipation that's taken on a whole new meaning as we wait for a babe of our own, I want to re-focus and recollect. I want to enjoy peace and quiet while I still have it. I want to celebrate with my family. I want to learn how to rest and be patient.

So I signed off Instagram and Facebook for the rest of Advent and I'm amazed how often I picked up my phone yesterday and idly scrolled over, only to realize Instagram wasn't there. This is going to be good for me.

In very stark contrast with last year when I was too busy to practically breathe, I'm discouraged with the amount of downtime I have right now (my PRN job keeps cancelling me because their census is so low, which is really stressful financially). Yes, I'm looking for other PRN jobs, but in the end all I can do is wait expectantly. I can wait, knowing God has a plan. Maybe part of this plan is learning to embrace the rest and the quiet while it lasts. To gather strength and patience for the days ahead.

The night I deleted Instagram from my phone, I also read this from Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening devotional: "...we wait, by which we learn that we are not to be petulant, like Jonah or Elijah when they said, 'Let me die'; nor are we to whimper and sigh for the end of life because we are tired of work or wish to escape from our present sufferings till the will of the Lord is done. We are to groan for glorification, but we are to wait patiently for it, knowing that what the Lord appoints is best. Waiting implies being ready. We are to stand at the door expecting the Beloved to open it and take us away to Himself."

What are you doing as you wait in joyful expectation for God's ultimate rescue plan?  (Why yes, we're been reading the Jesus Storybook Bible every night this Advent. Why do you ask? If you haven't read it, you should. If you have, you'll know that Jesus is often alluded to as God's rescue plan to save His wayward children.)



No comments:

Post a Comment