Friday, February 26, 2010

One Moment in Time

Despite what I said earlier this week about looking forward to my runs, I really didn't want to work out this afternoon! Tonight is my 4th 12-13 hour night shift in a row and the previous 3 have been busy nights with critical admissions, double admissions, and picking up extra patients when a co-worker's assignment went downhill.
I put my workout off as long as possible, but finally had to follow my own advice and Just Do It. Instead of driving to the gym, Ross convinced me to run outside with him. It's 41 degrees and sunny! However, we got to the path by our apartment and it was still covered in snow/slush and it's just hilly enough that I'd be sure to fall quickly. So I went to the apartment gym which I try to avoid-- the treadmill there is so old and noisy! I do like the fact that the machine faces a mirror though. It allows me to make sure I'm running in a straight line, which is harder than it sounds! My feet tend to splay out(leftover from my ballet days I'm sure) and it hurts my knees after a while if my ankles, knees, and hips are not in one line.
I got a blast from the past on my iPod song shuffle while I was running: "One Moment in Time" by Whitney Houston from the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul! The opening lines say, "Each day I live/ I want to be/ A day to give/ The best of me/ I'm only one/ But not alone/ My finest day/ Is yet unknown." The Truffle Shuffle 5k is next weekend and Emily reminded me that the 2010 Cowtown Marathon is tomorrow... can't wait until they announce the 2011 date and we can start counting down!
When I finished my run, I had the innagural brewing on my new coffee maker to look forward to.

Coffee connoisseurs may scoff, but I'm so excited I found a small, inexpensive coffee maker. I don't need a 10-cup brewer since I'm the only one who'll be using it and I drink one cup three days a week.
In other news, my primary patient at work is doing so well! Her cheeks are getting rosy and she opens her eyes and looks around a lot more. I'm the one who "caught" her in the delivery room and I've been a little attached to her ever since :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment