Monday, September 5, 2011

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Scotchies


I used to hate butterscotch chips. Chocolate chips cookies have always been my favorite, so why would I mess with perfection? I now know the answer. Sometimes a buttery toffee flavor ups the ante just a bit. When one of my brothers mentioned that he was craving a batch of butterscotch cookies, I jumped at the opportunity to send a care package, but I no longer have normal wheat flour in my aparmtment. So I de-glutenated and the results was fantastic.

Oatmeal Scotchies (gluten-free)

1/2 cup almond meal
1 rounded cup old-fashioned or quick oats
2 Tbs. coconut flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. xantham gum
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbs. butter (1/4 cup)
1 egg
2 Tbs. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 to 3/4 cup butterscotch chips (disclaimer: Toll House butterscotch chips contain barley protein and are not gluten-free, but supposedly Hershey and Kroger brands are... always check your labels!)


In a small bowl, mix together the almond meal, oatmeal, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, xantham gum, and cinnamon. In a medium bowl blend the butter, egg, milk, vanilla, and brown sugar. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well. Add butterscotch chips and incorporate. Place balls of dough onto cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes. Makes 12-18 cookies.

1 comment:

  1. My sister-in-law recently came across her grandma's old recipe for oatmeal butterscotch cookies and the whole extended family was excited. Suddenly, several batches were being baked up and devoured. But, my husband reacts badly to wheat and thus eats gluten-free. I wanted him also to be able to savor these cookies reminiscent of his grandma's, so I took to the internet to find a suitable substitute. I have found it! These have such a nice chewy, buttery cookie texture, not overly sweet, and lower in starchy carbs than the flour-based version. Love them!!

    ReplyDelete