Friday, August 30, 2013

Berry Coconut Ice Cream

I have a song stuck in my head. It's basically the word "summer" over and over again, and I love it.

Hottest week of the year? I love it.


Swimming laps every chance I get? I love it.


Summer squash with every meal? I love it.


Sunlit dinners on date night? I love it.


Don't you dare say the F words in front of me (fall, football, you know). It's still summer, in case the weather forecast hasn't reminded you. It's finally supposed to hit triple digits today! For the first time in far too long.


And what would summer be without ice cream? I'm not usually a fan of ice cream. I'd rather chew my desserts. However, if you can't enjoy ice cream on the hottest day of summer, when can you? I've been on a berry kick this summer, as our grocery bill can attest. We sacrificed the last of our local blueberries for this batch of ice cream. Worth it.


Berry Coconut Ice Cream
makes 6 generous servings

{ put the bowl of the ice cream maker in the freezer 24 hours prior to making ice cream }

2 (13.6oz) cans full-fat coconut milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup strawberry jam
generous 1/2 cup chopped fresh or thawed berries (we used strawberries and blueberries)

1. Whisk the coconut milk and sugar in a pot over medium heat.

2. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes, whisking frequently as it heats.

3. Pour mixture into a heat-safe bowl.

4. Refrigerate until fully chilled, stirring occasionally to accelerate the chilling (this took us about 1 hour).

5. Pour the chilled mixture into the ice cream maker and turn on.

6. When the ice cream starts to freeze, but is still moving smoothly (about 20 minutes in) add the strawberry jam.

7. Continue letting the machine mix. At 45 minutes, pour the berries in.

8. Continue to mix for a total of 1 hour. At this point, you can enjoy it soft-serve style, or you can scoop it into a freezer-safe dish, cover tightly, and allow it to freeze completely. Either way, it's delicious. We found that the flavor was more coconut-heavy the first day, and more berry-flavored after a night in the freezer.

It's summer! Eat it up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment