Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Hearty Blueberry Muffins

We went blueberry picking with friends this weekend and came home with four pounds of fresh berries! After making these muffins, I'm wishing we'd gotten twice that amount.


Ross and I used to treat ourselves to Betty Crocker blueberry muffins before I went gluten-free. You know, that boxed mix that uses canned blueberries but makes fluffy muffins sweet enough to eat for dessert.

I considered buying a gluten-free muffin mix at the store and adding blueberries to try to emulate that, but between the starch and the sugar they use in most mixes, I wasn't too keen on it. I decided to make some healthy muffins from scratch, based off of this recipe, and I'm so glad I did!

The fresh blueberries in each bite are juicy and slightly tart (so much better than frozen), and perfectly complimented by the hearty whole grain flours. This is not your typical fluffy, sugary muffin. But it's complex, fresh, and it'll keep you full for hours.


Hearty Blueberry Muffins 
makes 12-16 muffins

1 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup buckwheat or teff flour (I personally think the teff flour is a bit sweeter)
1/2 cup almond meal
2-3 Tbs brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbs ground flax seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
7-8 Tbs unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
1/4 cup honey, warmed slightly so it's easier to stir
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 1/4 cup blueberries (I bet they'd also be great with fresh peaches or strawberries, too)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place liners in a muffin pan.

2. Add dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.

3. Whisk eggs, applesauce, milk, honey, and vanilla in a small bowl. Quickly stir in the coconut oil and add wet mixture to dry.

4. Stir mixture until just combined. Fold in blueberries.

5. Scoop into muffin liners, filling 3/4 of the way with batter.

6. Bake for 25-30 minutes


I hope you love them as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment