Saturday, December 5, 2009

hy⋅po⋅chon⋅dri⋅a (noun)

1. Also, hy⋅po⋅chon⋅dri⋅a⋅sis  /ˌhaɪpoʊkənˈdraɪəsɪs/ Psychiatry. an excessive preoccupation with one's health, usually focusing on some particular symptom.
2. excessive worry or talk about one's health.
According to research from Carnegie Mellon University, sleeping less than 7 hours triples your risk of catching a cold compared with somebody who gets eight or more hours, likely due to decreased immune activity. I'm obsessed with washing my hands and taking vitamin C, so I haven't gotten a cold yet, but I'll keep you posted ;-) And I'd better not get the flu with all the shots I've had!
Furthermore,the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism states that two weeks of sleeping less than six hours a night can increase insulin resistance and reduce glucose tolerance. Coupled with "treats" that everyone brings to work, this is probably leading to my sugar hangovers and extreme laziness on my days off.
(Just FYI, in case you'd like some reasoning as to why I seem to have fallen off the face of the earth.)


No comments:

Post a Comment