Sunday, January 29, 2017

Weeks 10, 11, and 12

I sit here at 13 weeks and 1 day pregnant, and I'm overwhelmed with gratitude. Today is the first day I haven't had any outright nausea in a long time! The last 3 weeks have been rough. It took me a full week to recover from the head cold I got after the new year, then we had a few "normal" days before Noah came down with the dreaded norovirus. I had started some herbs for nausea in addition to meds, and they helped for a day or two! Then the day Noah started getting better, I caught the stomach bug, adding insult to pregnancy nausea injury. I had 4 days of really intense nausea (and vomiting) and inability to do much of anything. I'm so so grateful that 2 of those days were on a weekend and I wasn't scheduled to work.

My mom was supposed to come keep us company during week 11, but ended up postponing travel by 4 days between an ice storm in the area, and the desire to avoid getting sick. She came to town briefly, spent that Thursday with my brother and niece, and came over to our house for a bit on Friday to bring us some groceries (THANK YOU) and entertain Noah for an hour while I laid down. It was so helpful, and since Noah was better and we'd Cloroxed common surfaces, I thought she'd be good. Alas, this bug is intense and it even got my mom sick!

So I can't even distinguish between weeks 10, 11, and 12 right now because they were so very crazy. Now I'm down with another head cold, which is ridiculous, but still way better than feeling like throwing up all the time.

All I know is, I'm so excited to be entering the second trimester! Let the fun part of pregnancy begin!

---

P.S. The change in prenatal care in the 3.5 years between pregnancies is more different than I expected. It could also be because last time I saw an OBGYN at KU until 28 weeks, and this time I just started seeing my Midwife from the get-go (she's actually way more thorough than the OB ever was). With Noah, we got the Nuchal Translucency ultrasound and associated blood work drawn at 12 weeks. With this baby, that wasn't offered (bah it was a fun ultrasound to see). But they did offer a genetic panel in which they drew my blood and were able to detect baby's genes to look for trisomies, other genetic abnormalities, and even baby's sex! We decided to wait on the boy/girl diagnosis until the 20 week ultrasound, but it was a huge relief to hear that everything else was normal! Life is such a miracle.

1 comment: