Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What dreams are made of

No I'm not going to wax poetic about grad school again (for now). I'm talking about running. And the fact that if nothing changes, nothing changes. I want to run a sub-30 minute 5k this year. More specifically, this summer. That means it's time to up the ante on my workouts.

Complaining about asthma won't get me anywhere. All I can do is push myself as far as I can and what happens, happens. I did a "speed" workout on the treadmill Sunday and by the end my face was red and my lips were purple. But I didn't throw up. And I didn't pass out. And I realized maybe my limits are farther away than I thought. And I'm stronger than I give myself credit for.

Then today, even though my thighs were still sore after one day off of running (a busy work day, at that) I ran 4 miles on a more-or-less flattish trail nearby. It wasn't fast and it probably wasn't pretty (I know the weather wasn't). But it acutally went by kind of quickly and I wasn't miserable the whole time.

You are so much stronger than you think. You are so much stronger than you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment