Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies Take 3

Version 1 is the original and my first love.
Version 2 was completely my own creation and while delicious, it didn't play nicely on a cookie sheet
Version 3 here is based off of a great vegan and gluten-free recipe from Elana's Pantry, but I un-veganized it with success (and sorry Elena, but I used Bob's Red Mill almond flour and it worked just fine).


Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 cups almond flour/meal
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbs. coconut oil or butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together almond meal, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl. In a small bowl, mix oil, egg, vanilla, and sugar. Add wet to dry and mix well (I used a hand mixer). Add chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed. Roll into 1 inch balls and flatten slightly with your fingertips. Bake for 7-10 minutes, cool, and serve. Makes 12-15 cookies.


These aren't as sweet as the other two versions, but they are pretty darn close to Version 1 as far as texture goes: soft and chewy. I gave one to Ross when he got home and only after I asked him if he liked them for the third time did he narrow his eyes and ask, "what secret ingredient did you hide in here?" I told him it was almond flour and he shrugged and went back for seconds. I'd call that success!

No comments:

Post a Comment