Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Plans

I got into my Plan B school!

My thought is, if I'm going to spend 2 years in grad school, I want to be a Nurse Practitioner at the end of it. However, if I don't get into Midwifery school (Plan A) and have to wait 1-2 years to re-apply, I may just get a Masters of Science in Nursing in the meantime (Plan B).

By 2015 nursing Master's programs are becoming Doctorate programs. If I get a general MSN now, I will have less work to do if I decide I want a Doctorate later on. Neonatal Nurse Practitioner school is also still floating in the back of my mind-- I've already applied there as well even though the next round of applications isn't due until next December and I won't find out until this time next year if I got in (if I'm not in Midwifery school at the time instead). I guess we'll call that Plan C.

Anyway, que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be.

In the last month I've gotten a call to work PRN in another hospital's NICU. But it was a night shift position, so I turned it down. I applied for a Labor and Delivery position at a different hospital, but they hired a more qualified applicant instead.

So right now, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can, not 'argue' with the residents too much, and not complain a whole lot about the chaos of a split unit (we're on two different floors due to our census). I'm loving on all the babies and enjoying my "easy" days with lots of cuddle time.
Hindsight is 20/20 and hopefully in a few years I will see how this was all meant to play out. After all, I suffered through a terrible, prolonged undergrad experience only to be thankful I stayed in Texas an extra summer because that's how I met Ross. Now working with a pregnant Brooke at the Urbavore farm made me think seriously about nurse Midwifery again, even though the actual farm apprenticeship didn't work out.

It's all a huge puzzle right now, and I'm trying to be patient because I know I can't see all the pieces yet.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11


5 comments:

  1. Gosh I am starting to feel like a stalker but I am SO happy for you Therese! You are right that God has a plan and things are going to go the way they should.

    Your blog speaks to my heart and your post about applying to Grad school encouraged me to get out of my own comfort zone. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not a stalker! I have almost 200 views a week... everyone else is just a lurker ;-) I'm so happy if anything I say speaks to even one person, so thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting into school - that's wonderful news!

    Congrats also on winning my Love Grown Foods giveaway! Please just send me your mailing address to simplylife1@gmail.com and I'll pass it along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great verse. One of my favorites to rely on! Congrats on school. I just know God has something special for you! Love You!

    ReplyDelete