Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Life Lately

You can probably tell my the reduced post volume and content that my grad school summer session has begun. Nursing Theory, here I come!

Lots has been happening, although I haven't taken the time to document it all.

1.) I got my first ever Nurse's Week card in the mail a few weeks ago and I was completely flattered. It brightened my whole day!

2.) I took a whirlwind trip to Omaha this past Wednesday through Friday. It wasn't much, but I got to see a few people, including my baby brother fresh from his first year of college. And I got to sit by my parent's pool, which is always heavenly. Thursday was a whirlwind: I went to Mass with my mom and ran into the woman I used to nanny for. I was ooh-ing and awe-ing over her newest arrival and she invited my mom and I over for tea. They live across the street from the church, which is awesome. Why this is the only picture I have from my trip, I do not know. My mom isn't even in the picture, just the family's oldest daughter and youngest daughter and their Mama, who is a huge role model of mine


After that, my mom and I picked up my Grandma Ginny and visited my brother Daniel at work. He works at a pawn shop (although I think that job is about to be past-tense in lieu of law school) and my grandma got a huge kick out of talking to him about how things work there. Then we hit up Ella's in Benson for lunch, and drove by the house my brothers are buying with my parents. In the evening, I made tofu for the familia and everyone ate it obligingly :o) I ended the night with Body Pump at the gym with my dad- such a good sport going with me because I knows I love it. Thursday morning, I hung out with my mom a bit more and had to leave all-too-soon. I did get to drive back to KC with my Grandma Ginny, though, which meant I had political debates and stories of my dad's childhood to entertain me for 3 hours.

3.) My last weekend option shift is fast approaching. In fact, I already worked my last full weekend and this Saturday is my last "weekend premium" day. It's bittersweet, but I know it's the right decision. Don't get me wrong, I will still be working 2 out of every 6 weekends, but I'll no longer get paid extra for it. What I've learned: a.) I LOVE predictability. b.) Spreading three 12s out over 7 days is much less painful than cramming them into a 4-5 day period. c.) Did I mention that I love having a predictable schedule? d.) The money was nice, but it was humbling to realize that with the weekend bonus, my pay was at the top of the pay scale for RNs at my hospital. The money I've made over the last 6 months is the most money I'll ever forseeably make. It was not impressive. e.) I miss church a heckofalot more than I expected to. So. There's that. But don't you fear, I will still have a work schedule to complain about because I volunteered to help out with short-staffed night shifts for the last two weeks of June. GULP.

4.) I have purposely let my baking supplies dwindle in an effort to comfort-bake less. This means I am out of baking powder, baking soda, sugar, brown sugar, and chocolate chips. Shockingly, this has only slightly cramped my style and it forces me to be more creative.

5.) The sunshine has been stunning lately and it's been gorgeous out! Dare I say it but the humidity hasn't been too bad yet which is even better.

6.) I zoned out doing clean-and-presses at the gym yesterday and totally smashed the bar on my nose. I'm praying I didn't break it or re-deviate my septum less than 3 months post-op. Gah.

7.) I'm ridiculously proud of my "virgin" hair. I used to get highlights in college, but that got too expensive and it was damaging my already coarse hair, so I stopped. Last fall, my hairdresser finally chopped off the last remnants of artificial color, and I was proud to be 100% natural. But looking at the above picture from this week, it looks 100% blah instead. Help!


What have you been up to lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment