Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Psalms

I'm learning that "knowing" the Bible stories is not a "once upon a time" sort of thing. The inspired words of God in the Bible can mean something different in every circumstance. I'm reading the Psalms right now and it's so fun to recognize some of my favorite worship songs in these ancient words. It makes sense, though. Psalms are sacred songs or hymns. They're meant to be sung. It's only right that artists translate them into music that reaches more people today. It's so fun to read words in my Bible and realize that when a certain song is stuck in my head, it's echoing a deeper meaning. If I had a musical bone in my body, there are several Psalms I'd love to base a song off of. Anyway, here's what I read today:

Psalm 24:3-6
 
Who may ascend the mountain of the Lord?
Who may stand in his holy place?
The one who has clean hands and a pure heart,
who does not trust in an idol
or swear by a false god.

They will receive blessing from the Lord
and vindication from God their Savior.
Such is the generation of those who seek him,
who seek your face, God of Jacob.



Give us Clean Hands
 
We bow our hearts
We bend our knees
Oh Spirit come make us humble
We turn our eyes
From evil things
Oh Lord we cast down our idols

So give us clean hands
and give us pure hearts
Let us not lift our souls to another
Oh God let this be
a generation that seeks
Who seeks Your face, oh God of Jacob

3 comments: