Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Vancouver to Whistler (Day 2)

We had a busy morning in Vancouver on Wednesday before meeting up with my parents.


We snacked on the complimentary breakfast at the hotel (blueberries and coffee for me, chocolate croissants for Ross) and then took a long walk, attempting to find a gluten-free bakery I'd heard of.
(We never found it. That was the only time all week when I missed having data capabilities on my phone.) We finally cried 'uncle', had breakfast at Starbucks, and made our way to Stanley Park again, to see the Vancouver Aquarium.




(Note: if you're a student, bring your student ID on vacation! I was kicking myself for not having mine. At least Ross got $10 off his ticket for having his with him.)

The aquarium was fun, although we tried to cram it into 90 minutes, which wasn't the best idea. I liked the fact that most of the aquarium was dedicated to Pacific coastal aquatic life. A lot of exhibits even had maps and pictures of where the certain habitat on display could be found in British Columbian waters.




Ross and I were blown away by the variety of life found beneath those cold waters!





After the aquarium, we took a cab back to the hotel for the sake of time. One last meal at Meat & Bread (quinoa salad and porchetta sandwich-in-a-cute-bowl this time) and we were good to go.


We hung out near our hotel for a bit until my parents found us, and then we were off on the Sea-to-Sky highway (thankfully no longer nicknamed the Sea-to-Die highway)!





We stopped at one scenic roadside lake about halfway there...


 
And then before we knew it, we were in Whistler! (It felt like a 2 hour drive, as opposed to the 3-4 hour drive I was anticipating, but since we stopped I can't say for sure).


Whister is a valley town nestled between Whistler and Blackcomb Mountain. While the air is perfectly clear and the sunshine is bright, you're only at about 2,000 feet above sea level, so you're not really feeling the altitude of most mountain towns.




We soaked in the roaring river between the Upper and Lower Village, the tourist attractions, and a good dinner before hitting up the hot tub to soak our tired legs. I'm loving Canada more and more.



(P.S. Since Google Reader has left us, I'm now reading my blogs in Feedly. However, I noticed that the formatting of my posts looks really weird there. If you're seeing lots of jumbled pictures, you may have to click over to the blog itself if you don't read directly from This Place in Time.  Sorry!)
















No comments:

Post a Comment