Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Epiphany

Night shift makes makes me feel like I got run over by a truck. Day. After. Day. Furthermore, I treat myself terribly when I'm working nights: diet sodas, vending machine runs at 5am to stay awake, meals at all hours whether I'm at work or not... I'm beginning to realize (4 months into it) that I'm not moving to day shift any time soon. Therefore, if I keep treating myself like crap on night shift, things are going to go downhill pretty quickly. I can't put my life on hold because I'm on night shift! I'm giving it too much credit and too much control over my life.
So I thought I'd point out the positives in my life right now. I know I don't do that enough. I've started studying for my RNC exam to be certified in Neonatal Critical Care nursing. If I take it and pass in the next year or so, I'd be by far the youngest nurse in our unit to do so! I've also been talking to our manager about starting a Developmental Care committee and we have our first meeting this Thursday! Finally, I worked out 3-4 times a week during the months of January and February and (shocker, I know) it really does make you feel better! And eating nutrient-rich foods every week makes my workouts better. Funny how that works ;-)
*The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.* C. DuBois

No comments:

Post a Comment