Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Night Shift "Hangover"

I've never had so many drinks that I'm hungover the next day, but after working 4 shifts in a row, traveling to Amarillo, and launching another 4-in-a-row stretch with only some restless sleeping in the car beforehand, I feel that I can empathize: screaming headache, red eyes, general puffiness, and and overwhelming desire to crawl back into bed at any given time. I finished the latest string of shifts on Tuesday morning and then slept for 10 hours! I don't know how well I slept, though, because I woke up feeling even worse. Only after taking a bath, exfoliating every inch of skin, and moisturizing excessively (hospital air is so dry!) did I feel like I could partially rejoin the land of the living.

Then I went back to bed and slept from 11pm to 6am, only waking a few times to turn over and go back to sleep. Again, not sure how well I slept. I'm learning not all sleep is equal. However, I did feel well enough this morning to go to Bikram yoga.
I was definitely scared that class was going to kick my butt! I haven't worked out in two weeks, except for two SLOW jogs in Amarillo. I've also been eating a lot of junk and processed foods in the last 2 weeks and I'm starting to notice that something about it gives me a stomachache. My last semester of nursing school, I started getting nauseous and dyspeptic when I was really stressed-- to the point that I now throw up at the peak of stressful times. Lovely, I know. But I've also noticed that I eat more crap when I'm stressed. Maybe the stress isn't causing my stomachaches as directly as I thought... Coincidence? I think not.

*You're never too old, never too bad, never too late and never too sick to start from the scratch once again.* -Bikram Choudhury

Yoga note to self: lotion + sweat = slime. Slathering up felt great last night after a bath, but it made hot yoga a lot more slippery! Besides that, it was a great class, though. I skipped the two poses that tend to make my back cramp up the most, but I also mixed a cup of coconut water and pinch of salt into my Nalgene bottle full of water. (I "bonked" toward the end of the last few classes, if it's possible to apply that term to yoga). I don't know if it was skipping the hardest poses, the electrolytes in my water, of the fact that the room was not as hot as it had been, but class went well!
I plan to spend the rest of the day with my garden books and planting seeds. I knew it wasn't going to be as easy as "poke seed into hole in dirt and water as needed," but I never realized plants were so complicated! My cucumber seeds are currently hopefully pre-sprouting, wrapped in damp paper towels in a Ziploc bag. I soaked the beet seeds in water for two hours and I'm going to plant them this afternoon. I ordered a heat pad for the peppers (apparently, they grow best with bottom-heat around 80 degrees) and it should arrive in two days. I'm really hoping my garden isn't one gigantic failure! I'll be nocturnal most of the summer, I'm sure, but at least my plants can benefit from the sunlight, and I can benefit by eating them!

1 comment:

  1. Love the baby picture. I had always wanted to do one like that with Ryan, but never got around to it and he's growing so quickly... bummer!