Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Spicy Hot

I've been known to drink hot green tea year-round, but there's something about cold, dark winter days that call for a little something extra. Any hot beverage tastes better when the temperatures dip below freezing.

They also taste better in a Holiday Cup from Starbucks, despite this year's scary snowmen!

Generally, stirring milk into my coffee is as complicated as I get with hot drinks at home, but a recipe for homemade coconut chai latte changed everything. This has been my study drink of choice lately and it doesn't involve venturing out into the cold!

Coconut Chai Latte


Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup + 2 Tbs. almond milk
• 1/2 cup strong chai tea, brewed for 10 mins (I used 2 tea bags)
• 3 Tbs. coconut milk cream (thick, creamy part at  top of can, NOT low fat coconut milk)
• 1 Tbs. pure maple syrup
• 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
• Pinch of cinnamon, to garnish


Directions: 

In a small pot on medium heat, combine milk, chai (after 10 minutes of brewing), and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and then lower heat for 1 minute. Stir in maple syrup and vanilla. Add mixture to blender and blend until frothy for 60-90 seconds.

 
(Alternately, I used my Aerolatte whisk while the mixture was still on the stove.) Pour into mug and sprinkle with cinnamon. Makes 1 delicious mug of chai.


Spicy chai lattes make me love winter a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment