Monday, October 10, 2011

I found it!

'It' being the perfect gluten-free chocolate chip cookie! I've obviously been experimenting with a lot of gluten-free cookie recipes this year. Cookies are my comfort food. The entire process of following a recipe, whipping up a batch of dough, and licking my fingers and the beater before putting the cookies in the oven, calms me. And I've found some good cookies. I even invented successful chocolate chip cookie and butterscotch cookie recipes on my own.  But. None of them really met the good old "Toll House" taste test. Until now.


I got this now-favorite recipe from Angela at Oh She Glows. The first time I made it, I followed it to a "T" except for the fact that I made a chia egg instead of a flax egg. However, Ross thought the oat flour was too coarse and it made the texture less-than-perfect. So for the next batch, I used the finest flour at my disposal: super-fine brown rice flour.

Also, out of necessity, I used powdered sugar for the second batch since I was out of granulated sugar. I think that made a big difference. A lot of gluten-free recipes use starches instead of flours but I try to stay away from that habit because starches are hard to digest and the whole point of eating gluten-free is to give my stomach a break.

Ross approves of the final product and the dough tastes great raw (and since there are no raw eggs, I don't feel bad about eating the dough, either). Without further ado, here's the
perfect gluten-free chocolate chip cookie:

7 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil (I also got good results replacing an additional Tbs of butter with a Tbs of coconut oil)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 flax or chia egg (I'm sure a regular egg works just as well if not better, but I'm a sucker for raw batter)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill almond meal/flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon (I used slightly less than that)
1/2 cup Enjoy Life  gluten-free chocolate chips

*For a flax egg, mix 1 Tbs ground flax with 3 Tbs water. For a chia egg, use the same ratio but the seeds don't need to be ground up.


1.) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a pan with parchment paper or prepare with cooking spray.

2.) In a tiny bowl, mix the flax or chia egg and set aside.

3.) Beat the butter and oil in a medium bowl until fluffy. Add the sugars and continue to mix well until smooth. Beat in the flax egg and vanilla extract.

4.) Beat in the remaining ingredients adding the chocolate chips last.

5.) Shape into Tablespoon-sized balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10-11 minutes. Makes 2 dozen cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment