Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cornbread 'Quiche'

Since school has started, the next 5 weeks find me doing school work + working four 12-hour shifts every week (2 as a clinical instructor, 2 as a NICU RN). In my life, that's Busy with a capital B. I still feel best when I'm eating my vegetables. I don't have time to prep a nice dinner most nights, and I can't afford to buy a bunch of prepared salads and cooked dishes, so I'm trying to get creative. This recipe is inspired by one Caitlin posted a few weeks ago.

Crust
(based off of my gluten-free cornbread recipe)

1 cup finely ground corn meal
1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp xantham gum (optional) 

1/4 tsp salt
1 egg (or a flax or chia egg)
2 Tbs. olive oil

1 Tbs. honey
1/2 cup milk of choice


 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Mix the corn meal, baking powder, xantham gum, and salt well in a medium bowl.

In a small bowl mix the oil, honey, and egg.

Add wet to dry and stir until just incorporated. The mixture will seem dry and crumbly.

Coat a round pie pan lightly with cooking spray. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan and bake for 10 minutes.

Quiche 

4 eggs
1 cup fresh veggies (I used 1 zucchini and threw in some leftover black beans)
1/4 cup liquid (Milk, cream, or salsa would work. I used leftover enchilada sauce this time.)

While the crust is baking, saute veggies on the stove (I used 1 zucchini today and threw in some leftover black beans). Then whip eggs + liquid of choice in a small bowl. Remove the crust from the oven and layer the veggies over the crust. Then pour the egg mixture on top.

Place back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Makes 4 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment