Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Local Pig

It's pretty easy to get locally grown, pastured beef here in Kansas City, but other meats are much more difficult to find. Last Saturday, I figured this challenge merited a long-awaited trip to the Local Pig.


I know. I can't believe I just said that. Since eliminating gluten and falling in love with Body Pump, though, I've started eating more meat again. I'm still very pro-veggie, and my meals are still plant-based, but I probably average about one serving of meat a day now, and I feel so much better. More energy, faster recovery, yada yada yada. BUT. I'm really picky about the source.


Local Pig serves only hormone, steroid, and antibiotic-free meats. They have a map in their shop showing where each item came from.

 
And if I had any doubts about walking into a butcher shop, the atmosphere inside completely dispelled any worries I had. I never thought I'd find such a place cozy, but it was. The shop was full of reclaimed wood and small, crafty details.


 You can tell the owners and employees take great pride in their work and in their workspace. We asked about some "old-fashioned honey" on a shelf, and an employee practically ran over there to give us a taste.


We ended up spending $35 for easily more than a week's worth of meat for the two us. We bought two chicken breasts, a pound of roast beef for sandwiches, 2 sausages, and 1/2 pound of bacon. The roast beef was by far the most expensive item (that alone cost $18) so if we eliminated or replaced that with something else, our bill could've been much smaller.


So far we've tried the chicken, bacon, and roast beef. We put the sausages and half of the bacon in the freezer for later. The verdict? Outstanding. The roast beef made me crave a big old sandwich on artisanal bread like Ross has been eating this week. The chicken was so much better than store-bought with the crispy skin on the outside, and the bacon was much thicker than we were used to but also really flavorful. A little bit went a long way.


Needless to say, we'll be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment