Friday, August 10, 2012

Local Breakfast

When Ross and I decided to try eating locally for a week, breakfast was the most immediate struggle. I'm stuck on oatmeal with coconut or almond milk, chia seeds, banana, and almond butter. Ross loves his Raisin Bran.

Of course, the most obvious answer would be eggs. We love a good fry-up and eggs, veggies, and potatoes are certainly plentiful right now. However, we don't have the time! Our alarms go off between 4:30-6:30am 5-6 days a week. We're just not going to get up even earlier to cook an omelet before work.


With this in mind, I snagged some locally made granola at the farmer's market last weekend. I know none of the ingredients were grown locally, but I rationalized it on the technicality that it's still a locally made product and buying it puts my money where my mouth is by supporting local individuals. Still, there were 2 immediate problems: a.) eating it with local milk made my stomach hurt since I'm used to non-dairy milk (but it tasted so delicious!) and b.) this granola was ridiculously tasty so I ended up eating it as a dessert for a few nights. It never made it to breakfast!


On to Plan B: breakfast burritos! Again, a technicality, but we bought some locally made tortillas and they got the job done. I could've made tortillas since Badseed sells locally grown and ground flour, but honestly, I didn't want to mess with it. Local and organic eggs, peppers, onions, bacon (!), potatoes, and jalepenos made a perfect filling.



I did do something with local flour, though: gluten-free blue corn muffins!


1 3/4 cups finely ground corn meal (grown and ground in Kansas)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 eggs (farmer's market)
1/4 cup butter (Shatto makes and sells local butter here in Kansas City)
3 Tbs honey (from our CSA)
1 cup milk (Shatto and Good Natured Family Farms milk comes from Missouri, and the Hy-Vee organic brand comes from Iowa)

Mix dry ingredients well, then stir in the wet ingredients until everything is evenly moistened. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.


That being said, we both went for our habitual breakfasts on a few of our earlier mornings. Like I said, this has been a humbling endeavor. But quite a tasty one!

No comments:

Post a Comment