Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
- 1 c. quinoa, uncooked
- 1 c. vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 2 small/medium zucchini, shredded and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c. non-dairy organic cheese (I used Follow Your Heart cheddar)
- 1 3 oz. can sliced olives, drained
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
Rinse and drain the quinoa. Then in a medium sauce pot, combine quinoa, broth, and 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat, stir and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Removed lid and cook for an additional minute or two, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is fully cooked.
Add shredded zucchini, remaining enchilada sauce, and garlic and heat until fully incorporated. Stir in 3/4 cup of cheese and the black beans.
Transfer mixture to a large, greased casserole dish.
Top with grated cheese (I put real cheddar on Ross' half) and sliced olives. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. (To brown the top of the casserole, you can switch the oven over to the broil setting for the last several minutes)
Garnish with avocado and cilantro if desired.
Enjoy, and don't forget to save some for tomorrow's lunch!
P.S. I finally updated the recipe page.