Sunday, October 31, 2010

Roast Squash and Wild Rice

Oh. my. gourd. I have a problem. I can't stop buying winter squash!


I cooked up a storm last Thursday- I said I wanted to have healthy meals to eat while moving, but it was also a last hurrah in the kitchen I've utilized more than any other. Fortunately I had just discovered this recipe on Veggie by Season's blog and was so happy to see that I had most of the ingredients. Buttercup squash was the lucky victim. I'm not sure how such a bumpy squash earned such a cute name, but don't be deceived. This has now replaced butternut squash as my gourd of choice!

Squash + leeks. A match made in autumnal heaven.

Roast Squash and Wild Rice

serves 4 as a main course, 6 as a side dish 

2 c. prepared Wild Rice cooked in vegetable or chicken stock
2 lbs. squash of choice
2 medium leeks, chopped (or 1 large yellow onion- but the leek made this dish)
1/2 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 c. dried cranberries or cherries (I used cherries)
1 Tbs. coconut butter (not necessary, but I'm glad I added it on a whim)
1 Tbs. honey
juice of 1 lemon


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil, add squash and leeks (or onion), drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss well. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, until tender and caramelized.


Cook rice while the vegetables are roasting. (I followed the package directions and cooked 1/2 cup dry rice in 1.5 cups broth to make 2 cups cooked.) Add cherries to the rice on the stovetop during last 10 minutes of cooking.

When rice is cooked, add coconut butter (if using), honey, and lemon juice, and toss to distribute. Mix in squash and leeks and serve warm.


I know this doesn't have a protein in it because we're low on groceries (I had a Greek yogurt on the side if that counts, Mom?!) But this would be great with navy beans, black-eyed peas, or even cubed chicken or pork.

This picture doesn't really do the recipe justice- I absolutely loved it! I ate this dish twice a day for the last 3 days and I wish I still had some in the fridge. It was that good.



No comments:

Post a Comment