Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Big 2-5

It's my birthday!

When you are very young, you have all the time in the world... And you keep wondering: Dear God, when is life ever going to start? Then you hit the age of 25 and you realize that your days are numbered, so to speak. You begin to understand that time is no longer infinitely elastic. And why did nobody warn you that you would be spending 30 percent of your time on things that are really tedious or difficult, like trying to find a rental apartment you can afford. This is a terrible time of life, the mid-20s, because you still don't know what real adulthood looks like. And since you probably don't have children yet, you can devote entire afternoons to questions like "Who am I?" which rarely lead down a pretty path.
-from an article in the the May 2010 edition of Real Simple
I was all set to write a melancholy post today. I remember panicking before ballet class when I was little because I was turning 6 the next week and I wanted to stay 5! I have anxiety issues. Ever since then, I've looked forward to my birthday with a combination of trepidation (turning one year older) and anticipation (a day to celebrate). Needless to say, my 10th (leaving the single-digits) and 20th (leaving the teens) birthdays also provoked anxiety.

I was expecting the same with the big 2-5. After all, now I'm in my mid-20s. I know I'll look back at this someday and laugh, but man I feel old! High school was just yesterday, right? Time flies way too quickly. (Except during a 12-hour night shift).

But really when you think about it, we get a day older each day. It's not like you suddenly age an entire year on your birthday. I say I'm 25, but it means I've actually just completed my 25th trip around the sun. Luckily, I've been too busy lately to contemplate this thought.

I woke up to a gorgeous sunny day today, which always improves my mood! In 8th grade, there was 100% chance of rain on my birthday and it poured from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to bed. I obviously still haven't recovered.







April 14, 2010 ended up being a good day! Ross and I went to blanc burgers + bottles on the Plaza for lunch. His mom sent us some money to go to a birthday dinner, so it was actually a dual celebration of our April birthdays.

Lunch was awesome and I already want to go back!













After our great lunch, I had to go home and take a nap because I had to work that night.
And speaking of late nights, Ross brought a Baskin Robbins turtle pie to work when he got back from his night class! When I was little, there used to be a Baskin Robbins in Dundee and we'd walk there after dinner every now and then to get a cool treat on a warm summer night. I remember Tommy always getting bubble gum ice cream (gross) and I think it was my dad who started getting turtle pie. One bite and I was hooked! I haven't had it in years and it was just as good as I remembered.


Thanks to everyone who sent birthday wishes! I know I'm bad at keeping touch, but it's nice to know that out of sight isn't out of mind.





















No comments:

Post a Comment