Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Garmin Grins

This birthday keeps on giving! My parents gave me birthday money to put toward a Garmin Forerunner 305 and the package arrived today! I tore it open and immediately plugged the thing in. I'm sure I visibly wilted when I read that you had to charge it for 3 hours before using it the first time and Ross verified that the manufacturer knew what he was talking about. Apparently batteries "learn" their lifespan when you charge them fully- erm, something like that. Ask Ross.


ANYWAY, I finally ran with it and I love it. I'm still figuring out all the little details, but it's very easy to press start and stop and scroll through the screens telling you your time, pace, and distance. It can also show heartrate, but I didn't wear the monitor strap today.

I was all excited to plug it into the computer after my run and I trudged up to our apartment to find... a locked door! I never bring my key when I run and Ross is home. He'd left at 6:00 for his 7:00-10:00pm night class in Lawrence and I didn't finish my run until 6:10! MAJOR miscommunication! I ran to the apartment office, which is open until 6pm, but of course it was already closed and locked for the night. So I walked ANOTHER 1.5 miles roundtrip (+ 1 huge hill) to the QuickTrip down the road to use their phone and leave a very angry voicemail for Ross.

By the time I got back to the apartment complex, it was only 7:05pm. Ross' class had just started and he had a presentation tonight, so I knew he wouldn't be able to leave class when he got my message! After standing by my car for a few minutes, the sun started to set and I started to get cold. So I decided to see if I could climb up onto our balcony.

I'd been out there earlier today planting stuff (involving another post and another birthday gift, this time from my mother-in-law), and I was praying the sliding door was still unlocked! Don't worry, the lights were out in the two apartments below ours so no one would think I was breaking in while they were cooking dinner. I got up to the second floor balcony easily enough, but there was a bigger gap between the second and third stories. You probably don't want to know what I did, considering my lack of arm strength, wobbly balcony construction, and distance from the ground. Suffice to say, I'm so glad I'm alive and uninjured writing this post. I must've been delirious! Some spiderman-like moves and sheer willpower launched me onto our balcony after several attempts and (praise God!) the sliding door was still unlocked. I rushed to the kitchen to chug some water and inhale my belated dinner! Too bad I didn't leave the Garmin on for my climb. That would've been some nice vertical elevation!


When I finally plugged my new toy into the computer, it automatically pulled up my workout stats and even made a chart plotting distance and elevation! (It's pretty much a hill any way you run from our apartment). I'm still trying to figure out how to see a breakdown of your pace per mile. Right now, it just shows my average pace and my fastest pace (apparently for one brief, shining moment, I was running at an 8:30 pace- ha! I haven't run a full mile in under 9 minutes since high school).

I love my Garmin! And I will never run without a key again. And please thank God for not letting me injure myself in my studpidity. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment