Sunday, August 1, 2010

Dad's Omaha Triathlon

I was so glad Ben's wedding weekend coincided with my dad's first Olympic triathlon today!  FYI Olympic distance means a 1.5 km (0.93 mile) swim, 40 km (24.8 mile) bike, and 10 km (6.2 mile) swim. The swim started early (6:15am), luckily we found my dad right before the race started.





It was a nice morning, and I'm sure the swimmers were a little chilly at first. My dad had steam coming off of him during his first transition!









The bike course was hilly and the sun was out in full force. Not a cloud in the sky! I walked about a mile out on the course to see my dad over the last big hill. You know it's a hilly course when you shout, "Good job, last hill!" and people look at you with big, hopeful eyes and gasp, "Really? You're not joking?!"





Sadly, we couldn't really go out onto the run course to cheer, but my dad said they had water stations every mile so hopefully they cheered the athletes on.  I didn't recognize my dad coming up the hill at first, and then I kept missing him with the camera. But I finally got a good shot. He finished strong!



The sun was cooking by this point. 80 degrees at 9am. Finishers were no longer soaked with lake water. It was all sweat!




At my wedding reception, my dad gave a great speech and at one point he said, "I'm so proud of you. If pride is a sin, I'm going straight to hell." For the record, I think it's vanity that's a sin, and I'm just as proud of you, Dad, for not only finishing your triathlon, but finishing within your goal time this morning! You did more before 9:30am than most people do all week.



No comments:

Post a Comment