Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Best National Neonatal Nurses Day

I took care of Johanna's little marshmallow at work today. I knew it was going to be a busy day, but when that sweet baby opened her big eyes to look at me after I changed her diaper and started her feeding, I knew I couldn't walk away.  I got some warm blankets and sat down in her dark room to hold miss marshmallow for 20 minutes. She was so happy!  She was looking around, looking at me, sucking her thumb, and trying to show me what a big girl she was.


After a few minutes, she got sleepy and snuggled in. I took a deep breath to wake myself up and enjoy this moment of peace, and then I felt the baby's tummy pooch out as SHE took a deep breath. A few minutes later, I sighed again, and the baby took another big breath and let it all out.  IT WAS SO SWEET!  Best part of my day week, hands down. I did this several more times while holding her, and she responded with her own deep breath every time. I think both of us got a lot off our shoulders :o)

I know I complain about work a lot, but I do love the part of my job that allows me to interact with tiny patients every day. They are so sweet and so strong and I have so much love to give them! I hope they know over the beeping monitors, hissing breathing machines, constant hum of voices, and occasional bright lights, that someone out there loves them. It's an honor to help them grow and to spend precious moments like this with them.

Sometimes "my" babies are so beautiful it makes me want to cry.





2 comments:

  1. This post made me want to cry. I hope these parents know how blessed they are to have you watching over their little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes "my babies" are so beautiful it makes me want to cry !
    What a blessing you are, Therese, in so many lives, in so many ways.
    I love you. I thank God for bringing you into my life.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete